VMware Tools is a suite of utilities that enhances the performance of the virtual machine's guest operating system and improves management of the virtual machine. Without VMware Tools installed in your guest operating system, guest performance lacks important functionality. Installing VMware Tools eliminates or improves these issues:
- Low video resolution
- Inadequate color depth
- Incorrect display of network speed
- Restricted movement of the mouse
- Inability to copy and paste and drag-and-drop files
- Missing sound
- Provides the ability to take quiesced snapshots of the guest OS
VMware Tools includes these components:
- VMware Tools service
- VMware device drivers
- VMware user process
- VMware Tools control panel
Installing VMware Tools
The following are general steps used to start the VMware Tools installation in most VMware products. Certain guest operating systems may require different steps, but these steps work for most operating systems. Links to more detailed steps for different operating systems are included in this article. Make sure to review the VMware documentation for the product you are using.
To install VMware Tools in most VMware products:
- Power on the virtual machine.
- Log in to the virtual machine using an account with Administrator or root privileges.
- Wait for the desktop to load and be ready.
- Click Install/Upgrade VMware Tools. There are two places to find this option:
- Right-click on the running virtual machine object and choose Install/Upgrade VMware Tools.
- Right-click on the running virtual machine object and click Open Console. In the Console menu click VM and click Install/Upgrade VMware Tools.